Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Baked Eggplant over Arugula

Wow. The last time I posted was January? Holy crap...

But I am urged on by something I saw on Real Housewives of Miami (and don't you dare judge--that show is FINE entertainment!) Anyhoo, they were having a cooking lesson and the dish was a deep fried eggplant served with tomatoes and fresh mozzarella over a bed of arugula.

I knew I had to eat that. Now, since I'm not about to go to Miami, nor do I eat fried food, I had a quandry on my hands. But the quandry was solved by making my own breaded and baked eggplant and balsamic dressing and, if I do say so myself, I had a delicious dish on my hands...LOVE!

Baked Eggplant over Arugula

*One large eggplant, sliced
*One egg, beaten
*One cup Italian style bread crumbs
*1 tsp fennel seed
*Cooking spray
*Argula
*Fresh sliced tomatoes
*Fresh mozzarella cheese
*1/4 cup olive oil
*3 tbsp balsamic vinegar

Preaheat oven to 375 degrees.

Put egg in one shallow bowl. In another shallow bowl, mix bread crumbs with fennel seed. Spray baking sheet with cooking spray.

Dip eggplant slice into the egg, then bread crumbs, turning to coat. Place on baking sheet. Once all your slices are on, spray with more cooking spray.

Put in oven. These will need to bake 30-40 minutes (depends on your oven) until they are golden. Flip eggplant and roate sheet halfway through cooking time.

Meanwhile, mix olive oil and balsamic vinegar together for dressing.

To serve: put arugula on plate, then layer eggplant, tomatoes and cheese. Drizzle dressing over the top and enjoy!

1 comment: