Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Brownie Oatmeal


Mmmmmmmmmmm. Brownies. I love a good chocolate brownie (cake-like and moist, not chewy, but I digress.) While I love a good cake-like brownie, I DO NOT like what it does to my waistline. As in love handles. Ick.

But what about a brownie-like flavor in something wholesome, like oatmeal?

Yeah, I kind of dug that idea too.

I found a recipe for Brownie Oatmeal and began tweaking it in the kitchen. And what I came up with is a chocolate, creamy oatmeal that fills that craving somewhat. (Come on, you didn't think oatmeal was going to be EXACTLY like a brownie, did you?) But it's good. And good for you!

Brownie Oatmeal (This makes two generous bowls.)

1 cup of water
1 cup of milk (I used Vanilla Coconut Milk, but you can use any kind of milk you like.)
1 TBSP dark cocoa powder
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
1 cup oatmeal (not quick cooking)

Additional milk for serving (or half and half if you want to indulge)
Sugar/Stevia/whatever sweetener you like
Pecans, almonds or Walnuts for topping
Shredded coconut for topping if you want Almond Joy/Mounds Oatmeal

Combine water, milk, cocoa powder, cinammon and vanilla in a large saucepan. Bring to a boil.

Add oatmeal. Reduce heat to low. Let oatmeal cook until done (mine usually takes 10-15 minutes.) Make sure you are checking and stirring during this time so it doesn't stick to the bottom of the pan.

Remove from heat. Stir additional milk into oatmeal to get a creamy texture. Add sweetener to your taste (for super healthy oatmeal remember less is better.) Top with nuts, coconut, drizzle with more milk or half and half.

No comments:

Post a Comment