Monday, June 6, 2011

Rosemary and Goat Cheese Turkey Burgers with Plum Ketchup

Because I am a cookbook slut, and cannot resist a beautifully shot cookbook, I purchased Gwyneth Paltrow's My Father's Daughter last week. Oh, is there nothing better than sitting down with a new cookbook and seeing what delicious new recipes await trial in my kitchen? Love that but I digress.

Anyhoo, I stumbled upon a recipe for Duck Burgers with Plum Ketchup. Hmmmm, very interesting. I am not a big fan of duck myself, and the cost is crazy...and I've never seen it ground up at the store, but that did not stop the wheels from spinning in my crazy little brain.

I decided to adapt the recipe. I swapped ground turkey for duck. I upped the rosemary to one tablespoon chopped. Then I had some Chevre (goat cheese) in the fridge so I stuffed the burgers with that and topped with Plum Ketchup. Oh.my.goodness. FABULOUS AND SOPHISTICATED BURGERS!!! Divine, if I do say so myself. So thank you Gwyneth for the inspiration!

Rosemary and Goat Cheese Turkey Burgers with Plum Ketchup
*1 lb ground turkey (get 93 percent lean--too lean = dry nasty burger)
*1 TBSP chopped fresh rosemary
*Chevre or soft goat cheese
*1 egg, beaten
*1/4 cup whole wheat bread crumbs

*Plum Jam (preferabbly organic)
*Organic Ketchup

*Whole Wheat Buns

In a large mixing bowl, combine ground turkey, rosemary, egg and bread crumbs. USE YOUR HANDS. Don't be dainty here. Get messy. It will wash off, I promise.

Form four patties with your hands. In the center of each patty, make an indentation with your thumb. Stuff hole with goat cheese and then cover the cheese back up with meat. (Hidden cheese is the thought here.)

Heat large pan over medium high heat. Spray with non-stick cooking spray. Add burgers and cook for seven minutes on each side. (Time will vary by stove so do keep an eye on them.) Check for no pink when done--again, cooking times will vary by heat source and how thick you make the burger.

For the Plum Ketchup: Mix equal parts plum jam and ketchup.

To serve: Spread bun with Plum Ketchup. Put burger on, add a little more ketchup if you like. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment