Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Oven Roasted Radishes

Let's discuss radishes, shall we? I must admit, I am not in LOVE! with the radish. Pretty on my kitchen counter? Of course. Tasty? Eh, no. My dad, dear old Grand Master Wayne, loved radishes in salads and would eat them alone with salt. Ewh. I never had the LOVE for that.

But radishes that have been oven roasted with a drizzle of olive oil, fresh black pepper and kosher salt?

LOVE LOVE LOVE!

I read about them in the New York Times food section a week or so ago and was intrigued with the idea. Roasting brings out the sweetness in them. So being the gamer that I am, I decided to try them. And color me stunned, they are DELICIOUS roasted. They were sweet, they were carmalized...I could have eaten a bowl of them right out of the oven. They were THAT good.

What I did end up doing what putting them in the fridge and eating them cold over my salad this week. A tasty combo of baby lettuce, fresh corn off the cob, sliced orange bell pepper, grape tomatoes, roasted radishes and the buttermilk dressing I posted a while back. FREAKING FAB and screams summer.

But let's get back to the radishes, okay? Here's how to make them...if you are brave enough to try them!

Oven Roasted Radishes

*One bunch radishes, leaves trimmed off, ends trimmed
*Olive Oil
*Kosher Salt
*Fresh black pepper

Preheat oven to 500 degrees.

Cut radishes in half. Drizzle with olive oil. Sprinkle with a little bit of salt and pepper.

Roast 15 minutes. Flip them over, roast another 5-15 minutes until browned. (You will need to watch these--every oven is different and yours might get done faster and you don't want blackened radishes!)

Enjoy hot or cold.

1 comment:

  1. Definitely trying this! I have always loved raw radishes (love the crunch) so I bet I'll love them roasted, too.

    ReplyDelete