Monday, May 24, 2010

Sauteed Mushrooms & Fennel over Polenta



So Sara Snow had this recipe on her blog for polenta with local mushrooms and greens that sounded intriguing. I read through it, and of course, began changing it. You know, because I like to pretend I am Katie Lee/Giada/Other Food Network celebrity.

I added some fresh fennel, sliced thin, and some fennel seeds to the mushroom and onion mixture. I omitted the greens and leeks, favoring a fresh Mache salad on the side. Then I used prepared quiona polenta, the greatest invention ever, sliced it and baked it. Then I topped it with the sauteed mushrooms and fennel, sauteed with port, and viola! A totally vegeterian meal that, if you ask me, is restaurant quality.

People this one is easy. The only buzz kill is that you have to chop a lot but I promise it is not hard.

Sauteed Polenta with Mushrooms and Fennel

*1 tube prepared polenta (You can find this in the pasta aisle in many flavors. I opted for Quiona Polenta but regular/flavored polenta works just fine.)
*2 Tablespoons Olive Oil
*1 medium onion, sliced thin
*2 Fennel bulbs, fronds (fern part) cut off; bulbs sliced into thin strips/pieces
*1 teaspoon of fennel seed
*1-2 pounds of mushrooms, sliced (I used baby bellas)
*4 cloves of garlic, minced
*1 tablespoon of rosemary, chopped
*1/2 cup of red wine or port
*Salt and pepper

Slice your polenta into 1/2 inch thick slices. Bake in preheated 350 oven for 15-30 minutes, until hot and a little bit crunchy on outside. (I sprayed the tops of my polenta slices with cooking spray to achieve this)

Meanwhile, heat the oil in a large saute pan. Add onions, fennel, and fennel seed and saute for 7-10 minutes, until the onions and fennel are starting to brown and are soft. Add the mushrooms, garlic, rosemary and saute 5 minutes more. Season with kosher salt and fresh black pepper. Add wine and cook until almost entirely evaporated, about 5 minutes.

Serve over polenta rounds. Toss a green salad with olive oil, balsamic, and fresh parmesean cheese and serve on the side. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment