Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Today's Recipe: Whipped Sweet Potatoes

So last night I tried a new recipe from Jillian Michaels' Master Your Metabolism Cookbook. It was for smashed, skin on sweet potatoes. I really wanted to like this--it had healthy coconut milk, skin on potatoes, etc. But sadly, I must report that I did not. I didn't like the texture with the skins on and chunks. Ick.

And I *really* do think sweet potatoes need some sweetener to taste really well.

But I got to thinking, what if I used coconut milk and added some maple syrup or agave to my whipped sweet potatoes? I made a second batch and these were so yummy. LOVE!

Don't have coconut milk? No worries--I have provided a substitute below.

Whipped Sweet Potatoes

*Four medium sized sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks
*1/2 cup plain coconut milk OR 2 tablespoons of butter
*Two tablespoons of agave nectar or maple syrup or brown sugar
*1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon

Put sweet potatos in saucepan of water. Bring to a boil and let boil for 15 minutes. (Test with fork for doneness--they should be soft.)

When sweet potatoes are done, drain off water and put the potatoes in a food processor. Puree. After they have started to puree, add coconut milk/butter, cinnamon, and sweetener of your choice.

Done. Easy. And you have a healthy homemade side in less than 20 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment